Map Layer Descriptions
Community Engagement Map Layer Descriptions
- Workshop locations: Locations of all community workshops held between December, 2015 and February, 2016.
- Tool kit languages, recommended: Recommended languages for translation in each Study Area, based on percent of Study Area population in linguistic isolation
Parks Map Layer Descriptions
- Parks and open space: All parks and open spaces inventoried during the Parks Needs Assessment, categorized by type
- Study Areas for Parks Needs Assessment: These geographic boundaries were developed using a GIS-based process that considered existing jurisdictional boundaries such as supervisorial districts, city borders, and County planning areas alongside information about population. The initial Study Area boundaries were reviewed by the Steering Committee with a final total of 189 Study Areas.
Park Access Layer Descriptions
- Park need framework: Park need level, by Study Area
- % within a half-mile walk of a park: Percent of the Study Area population living within ½ mile of a park, calculated using a walkable network. Countywide, 49% of the population lives with ½ mile of a park
- Park acres per thousand, by study area: Number of local and regional recreation park acres per 1,000 residents, by Study Area. County average is 3.3 acres per 1,000
- Park pressure, acres per thousand: Parkshed boundaries and acres per 1,000 parkshed residents at the park contained within the parkshed
- Regional park service areas: Areas of Los Angeles County within 25 miles of a regional recreation park
- Walkable area: Areas of Los Angeles County located within ½ mile of a park, calculated using a walkable network.
- Distance to nearest park: Distance to nearest park from any given location in Los Angeles County
- Population by acre: Population density in number of people per acre, calculated using a one-acre hexagon grid.
- Park acreage accessible within one-half mile: Number of park acres within one half-mile of any given location in the County.
Environmental and Health Layer Descriptions
- Pollution Burden Score – CalEnviroScreen: Pollution burden scores based on seven exposure indicators, by census tract
- Diesel PM emissions: Rate of diesel particulate matter emissions, by census tract
- Fine particles PM2_5: Concentration of particulate matter 2.5 micrometers or less in diameter, by census tract
- Ozone: Ozone concentration in parts per million
- Asthma Rate: Number of emergency room visits per 10,000 people per year
- Diabetes deaths, per thousand: Number of deaths attributable to diabetes, per 100,000 residents
- Bike/Pedestrian accidents: Number of collisions between automobiles/bikes and automobiles/pedestrians between 2003 and 2012.
- Obesity rate: Percentage of obese fifth graders Countywide
Demographic Layer Descriptions
- Poverty rate: Percentage of Study Area population with income at or below 200% of the federal poverty level
- Population At or Below 200% Poverty Level, Per Square Mile: Number of people at or below the 200% poverty level, by square mile
- % HH without Vehicle Access: Percent of households without access to a vehicle, by Study Area
- Latino/Hispanic Population Per Square Mile: Population of Hispanic/Latinos
- Pacific Islander Population Per Square Mile: Population of Pacific Islander Alone
- Asian Population Per Square Mile: Population of Asian Alone
- Native American Population Per Square Mile: Population of Native American Alone
- White Population Per Square Mile: Population of White Alone
- African American Population Per Square Mile: Population of African American Alone
- Population Age Under 18 (LA County Avg 23.3%): Percent of tract population under the age of 18
- Population Age 18 to 24 (LA County Avg 10.8%): Percent of tract population age 18 to 24
- Population Age 25 to 54 (LA County Avg 42.8%): Percent of tract population age 25 to 54
- Population Age 55 to 64 (LA County Avg 11.2%): Percent of tract population age 55 to 64
- Population Age 65+ (LA County Avg 11.9%): Percent of tract population age 65+